My Daily Gain

This is a blog of my daily devotions (or my daily gain). Why gain? In reading and studying God's Word each day, I'm gaining. I'm gaining in my walk with Him, in my relationship with Him, in wisdom, in knowledge, and in life. If you are a Christian, take time each day to read the Bible. If you aren't a Christian I'd love to hear from you.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Trusting God (Genesis 12)

"The Lord appeared to Abram and said, 'to your descendants I will give this land.' So he built an altar there to the Lord who had appeared to him." - Gen 12:7

This is the first story we have of Abram. In verses 1-3, we see the first time God has promised Abram a great nation. And in verse 4, God told Abram to leave his land which was Haran. This was an act of obedience on Abram's part. They would arrive in the land of Canaan, which God promised to Abram (vs. 7). Which Abram's response was to offer an altar to the Lord.

Two things sick out to me from this. First, this is really the first time that I see any specific area mentioned in the Bible, beside the Garden of Eden. Secondly, I think it awesome that Abram's response was an altar to the Lord. This is the third time we see an altar made. And remember that at this time a burnt offering to the Lord for sins was not yet required. Plus this was clearly a worshipful offering to the Lord. We see a similar offering with Cain and Abel (Gen 4:3-15), and also with Noah after the flood (Gen 8:20-22). In Noah's case it was a "soothing aroma" to the Lord. We need to make it a daily practice to worship God.

Due to a famine they went down to Egypt (vs. 10). We don't know if God forced Abram out or if Abram made the decision to go. I know that if it were me, I would not want to leave the land God promised me. But its clear the famine forced them out.

In verses 11-13, Abram makes a plot to have Sarai say that she was his sister which was a half truth. But I see that God may not have been pleased with this, because He caused the plagues on Pharaoh to reveal the truth. I think this is a sign that Abram didn't fully trust God. God can provide for our needs, and if you feel that the Lord calling you to something, trust Him. We see that Abram didn't fully trust God, but God used him anyway. This reminds me of the story of Jonah in that Jonah didn't trust God, but in Jonah's disbelieve God used him anyway. This should not be our excuse, because not trusting God is in part a sin. I'm sure Abram felt bad, and learned to trust God, but of course old habits die hard, and we will see his disbelief again later. Despite this we see God using Abram in great ways, stay tuned for more.

Verse of the day: " 'I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the [life] which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.' " - Galatians 2:20

For your reading:
The Bible in One Year: Ezekiel 5-7 and Hebrews 12
Daily Bread: Psalm 119:97-104

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home