My Daily Gain

This is a blog of my daily devotions (or my daily gain). Why gain? In reading and studying God's Word each day, I'm gaining. I'm gaining in my walk with Him, in my relationship with Him, in wisdom, in knowledge, and in life. If you are a Christian, take time each day to read the Bible. If you aren't a Christian I'd love to hear from you.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Overcoming Sin (Genesis 4)

"If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it." - Gen 4:7

Cain and Abel both offered a sacrifice to the Lord, each of his own product. Cain offered fruit and Abel offered livestock. Many believe that Cain offering fruit was what was wrong. But it wasn't until later that God commanded a sacrifice of animals for sin. This has been described as a sacrifice of worship. I see this as the first idea of giving to the Lord, like a tithe.

So where did the sin come from (or why did Cain sin)? How did Cain's sacrifice lead him to kill his brother? In verse 5, it says that Cain became angry. Why? Is it because Abel's sacrifice was better? Could be. In verse 4, Abel's offering was the best of his flock, where Cain's may have been just a token offering. God asks us to sacrifice our time and life for him. Are we giving God the best of our lives and the most of our time? Are we just giving him the scraps? It convicts me; I need to learn to give the most of my life for Him.

God saw Cain's heart, and gave Cain some advice. The Lord told Cain that sin was knocking at his door, and that he could (or needs to) master it. This is a foreshadowing of the sin that Cain would kill his brother. Cain did not master the sin that was knocking. Cain killed his brother and apparently hid his body.

What can we take from this story? We have all struggled with sin in our lives, but we can overcome and master this sin in our lives. Satan's influence in our lives is great, but with Christ in our lives we can overcome, whatever Satan throws our way.

God gave Cain some advice; He gave Cain a chance to overcome the sin to follow. God gives us a chance as well. We all know the difference between right and wrong. Choice what is right. God puts people in our lives to help us, listen to them. I think of my parents, as a teenage I felt like they were just trying to tell me what to do, but as I look back, I can see that they were looking out for my best interests. I think of people in my life, like pastors, who teach me from the Word, as I listen to them speak, am I really taking to heart what they say? Don't be like Cain and sin despite knowing what is right.

I find it interesting that even in the early days of human history the idea of overcoming evil was known to man. So much so that today if you are struggling with sin and it seems to be controlling your life. Give it over to God and rely on His strength. "With people [it] is impossible, but with God all things are possible" (Matt 19:26)

Verse of the day: "Keeping away from strife is an honor for a man, But any fool will quarrel." - Proverbs 20:3



For your reading:
The Bible in One Year: Jeremiah 46-47 and Hebrews 6
Daily Bread: Mark 4:35-41

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home